Thursday, April 16, 2009

It has been a long time since I've posted anything. I can't sleep, so now seems to be the perfect time to update my Life.
At the time of my last post, I was neck deep in all sorts of stuff. The musical went very well. Everyone who came that I talked to said they really enjoyed it. Several even said it was one of their favorite Bethel productions! The music was a lot of fun and the acting (from what I could see from the orchestra pit) was superb. I kind of regret now having not gone to the one dress rehearsal I wasn't playing in so I could watch what was going on on stage. Oh well. I'll just have to watch the video some time.
My choir concert with the ND chorale and the South Bend Civic Orchestra also went very well. When we first started working on the music, I didn't enjoy the Faure Requiem very much. I've sung several different requiems before and they all start to sound the same after a while. However, by the time of the actual performance, I was loving [almost] every measure of the work. I knew the music well enough to read the English as I was singing the Latin. The 120ish voices combined with the orchestra made the words come alive to me.
I finished my last two pages for the Bethel Beacon tonight. I've definitely learned a lot being on the newspaper staff, both about AP style writing and page formatting. I've also learned quite a bit about working with personalities very different than my own. I've learned better how to pick my battles and keep my mouth shut - two very useful skills to learn.
I found out last week that I will be going to the Dominican Republic for sure next fall. I'm both excited and apprehensive. I know I will learn a lot and be stretched in new ways (those are two things I rather enjoy), but 3 1/2 months is a long time to be in a different country, apart from the people I love dearly. I do know most of the people going, and I think I may have my living companion(s) lined up.
I am playing for another musical this month. A local high school hired me and two other string players. We are playing "Seussical the Musical." The practices are rather interesting ... there is no conductor, just a student (an amazing pianist!) leading the way as best he can with his nodding head. The music director of the school has not proven to be very reliable. She has yet to give me my own copy of the music and a CD to listen to. Last week, we were locked out of the building and started the rehearsal half and hour late because she was eating out with one of her friends. Like I said, it's interesting. But at least I'm getting paid and the music isn't too hard for the most part.

No comments: